Choosing a caterer for a big event? Do you know what questions to ask? You might think of some of these, but others you may not know to ask, if you’re not in the catering business. Here are the questions we suggest.
- How long have you been in business?
- This will let you know how much experience they have.
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Why do you need to know if your caterer is licensed and insured? Some venues require it. In North Carolina it is illegal for a caterer to work out of a home. Your caterer must be in an approved and inspected facility. Only cake bakers are exempt.
- What venues have you been approved to cater in?
- If your caterer isn’t approved for the venues you’re considering, you’ll have to get a different caterer, or choose a different venue.
- When do you require payment?
- Paying 50 – 70 percent is normal, with the balance due the day of the event. We don’t recommend paying in full up front.
- Do you help with other aspects of event planning?
- With so many arrangements to coordinate for a big event, it can be very helpful to have another partner to ensure that everything goes as planned.
- What other resources do you bring to the table?
- When you work with a full service catering company your options are greatly expanded. From renting tents, bringing in specialized entertainment, providing whatever kind of decorations and setup you’d like, a full service catering company really expands your options.
We’re Catering by Design and we would love to cater your event. Catering by Design is one of the top caterers in the Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill area of North Carolina. We cater events throughout the greater Raleigh area, and even into Hillsborough, Fuquay Varina, Rocky Mount, New Hill and Southern Pines.
Call us at (919) 481-2366. Find out how we can help you have the best time and happiest guests at your next event.