Barn weddings are really popular, especially in North Carolina. Combining rustic and chic elements make for the ultimate romantic setting to celebrate the joining of two families. If you’re thinking about planning a barn wedding this year, then you’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll find some helpful tips that will make your barn wedding a success. Searching for the best Raleigh catering companies this year? Catering by Design is Raleigh’s number one choice for great food, fantastic fun, and affordable prices. Call now to learn how we can help you save time and money.
Tips for a Beautiful Barn Wedding
Is a barn wedding right for me?
Before you get too far in the planning you’ll need to ask yourself if having a wedding ceremony in a barn is the right venue for you. You’ll need to know the approximate number of guests you’ll have attending and the time of year of your ceremony. If you’re having a large crowd, let’s say 500 guests, then a barn might not be able to accommodate this many people and vendors. If you’re planning a winter or summer wedding, keep in mind that many barns do not have a heating or cooling system. That means you will probably have to rent heaters, fans, or portable air conditioners to keep your guests comfortable.
Establish your budget!
After you’ve decided that having a barn wedding is the right move, spend time establishing your budget. This is very important factor and it will play a major role in picking the right barn venue. You’ll need to plan a budget that has some wiggle room in case your venue does not offer full service. However, you should know that full service venues do tend to be more expensive. You’ll just need to weigh the pros and cons of each and budget accordingly.
If the venue you’ve got your eye on traditionally hosts weddings, reach out to the staff and see if they have an itemized list of what’s included in the package and what is not. This might help you with your budget planning.
Finding the right barn.
Now you’ve got to find the right barn to host your wedding and reception. This could be a little tricky depending on the type of ceremony you want to have. You should make a list of all the logistics that you can think of. Here are a few items to get you started.
- Is this barn permitted to host events?
- Is the barn rainproof?
- Does the barn have climate control features?
- How many guests can the barn hold comfortably?
- Is there adequate parking onsite? How many cars will parking accommodate?
- Are the event venue’s grounds wheelchair and handicap accessible?
- What does the venue rental cover? Will tables, chairs, linens, glassware, etc. be provided or will you need to find a vendor to supply them?
- Does the barn have a list of preferred vendors or can you choose your own?
- How much time will your vendors be allowed to set up and tear down?
- Is a wedding coordinator required?
- Is an onsite coordinator available?
- Is there sufficient electricity or will you need to rent generators?
- Is there space for a DJ to set up and plug in their equipment?
- Does the barn venue have onsite restrooms or will you need to rent portable ones?
- Is there a kitchen with running water and a refrigerator?
- Does the venue have a liquor license?
- Is there a specific space for the wedding party to get ready the day of the ceremony? If not, you’ll need to locate a hotel that’s close to the wedding venue.
- Is there a curfew or noise ordinance restriction?
- Will you need to provide wedding liability insurance?
- Are there any additional fees like corkage, service charge, cake cutting, etc.?
For more tips on how to have a beautiful wedding in a rustic barn, head on over to part two of this series. We’ll have some great ideas on decor, food, and more. For information about our award-winning catering company in Raleigh, please keep reading on below.
Best 2019 Raleigh Catering Companies for Weddings
All Raleigh catering companies are not the same. So, if you have a fall or winter event coming up, make the right choice by calling the professionals at Catering by Design. We have the best menus for events of any size, large or small, formal or informal. From weddings, renewals, and anniversary parties, to corporate events, awards banquets, tailgates, birthdays and more, Catering by Design can make sure your food and fun are on point. We’ve been serving up smiles to people all over North Carolina for decades. So give us a call today and see why we’re the number one choice for Raleigh catering companies!