Way back in the day sodas were invented to serve as a health drink. They were filled with medicinal ingredients and were popular at the pharmacies. In 1952, the first diet soda was created as a drink for diabetics not for dieters. Overtime, more diet sodas flooded the market. Now let’s jump forward to present day. Two-thirds of adults and one-third of all children in the US are overweight or obese and experts agree that soda and other sugary drinks have played a big role. Diet drinks have health concerns too, especially for women over the age of 50. Let’s take a closer look. If you’re searching for the best catering companies Raleigh NC has to offer this summer, call Catering by Design. We offer big savings, awesome customer service, and great tasting food.
Stroke, a journal of the American Heart Association, recently published a new study with some alarming stats. Researchers concluded that among post-menopausal women, drinking two or more diet drinks per day was associated with an increase in the risk of having a stroke caused by a blocked artery.
A group of 81,714 women (age 50 to 79 years) participated in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study to see if there were any correlations between drinking artificially sweetened beverages and risks of specific types of stroke in a large, racially diverse group of post-menopausal women. Women who drank two or more artificially sweetened beverages per day were:
- 31% more likely to have a clot-caused (ischemic) stroke
- 29% more likely to develop heart disease (fatal or non-fatal heart attack)
- 23% more likely to have a stroke
- 16% more likely to die from any cause
For some groups of women over the age of 50, the risks were even higher:
- Obese women without previous heart disease or diabetes were 2.03 times as likely to have a clot-caused stroke.
- Women with no previous heart disease or diabetes were 2.44 times at risk of having a common type of stroke caused by a blockage of one of the very small arteries within the brain.
- African-American women without previous heart disease or diabetes were 3.93 times as likely to have a clot-caused stroke.
Award Winning Catering Companies Raleigh NC 2019
If you are looking for reliable catering companies in Raleigh NC for your next spring or summer event, please call Catering by Design today. Our team of highly trained professionals is ready to take your call to schedule your service today. We are an award winning catering company that can handle events of any size.
Having a wedding? Then brides and grooms will love our free menu tastings. This is a free service we offer that most of our competitors charge for. Please click here to check out our menus, or call us today with any questions or to ask about our specials!