Planning a wedding and reception takes a lot of work and there are a ton of decisions to make. One of those is deciding whether to have a wedding DJ or live band to provide the music. Overall, your choice is really going to depend on your tastes and budget, however today’s post will outline the pros and cons of each choice.
You really cannot go wrong with either choice and as far as your budget is concerned, both services typically offer set prices for a four hour block of time. Play usually starts right before cocktail hour, or at the start of your reception, and overtime can be discussed beforehand. Just be sure to get everything in writing and included in your contract.
Below you’ll find a handy comparison of the two that will hopefully make your decision making process easier. Searching for the best Raleigh wedding catering services? Continue reading to see why Catering by Design should be your number one choice!
Booking a DJ Versus Booking a Band
Booking a Wedding DJ
- Budget friendly – Booking a wedding DJ is more affordable than hiring a live band to perform. A DJ will cost between $200 – $2,000, whereas a band could run you an extra $3 – $5,000.00
- Extensive Music Selection – Your wedding DJ should be able to play almost any song you or your wedding guests would like to hear.
- Adaptability – A wedding DJ can work in both large and small spaces and does not require a lot of extra equipment.
- Constant Entertainment – DJs do not have to take a break during the reception and they can keep the music playing the entire time.
- DJ and MC – A wedding DJ is also skilled in making the wedding announcements and party introductions. This special skill set will help the flow of your reception.
- Buzzkill – If you hire a DJ with a boring personality then your dance floor might look more like a graveyard.
- Autopilot – Some wedding DJs might just not be into your wedding so they’ll go on cruise control and hit autopilot. This can lead to a less than memorable reception.
Booking a Wedding Band
- Dramatic Presentation – A wedding band can make for a sensational reception with all of the musicians, vocalists, and instruments. Some bands even use theatrics for added effects.
- Memorable – The unique personality of the band will make your reception more memorable for your guests.
- Energizing – Bands are great for inspiring people to dance to their music.
- Mini Concert – Even those that don’t want to dance get to listen to live music and take in the show.
- Cost – Hiring a wedding band can be a great deal more expensive than hiring a wedding DJ.
- Limited Music Selections – Bands are limited in what they can and will play at your wedding. There probably will be songs requested by your guests that they just will not be able to play. If music selection is high on your list, then hire a DJ.
Hopefully this post will help you and your spouse-to-be decide on which type of wedding reception music option will be best for your wedding. If you need affordable catering, continue reading to see how we can help you.
Top Rated Raleigh Wedding Catering for Winter | Catering by Design
At Catering by Design, we know how important your winter wedding reception is, so let us help you plan a menu that you’ll remember for a lifetime. If you need the very best in wedding reception catering in Raleigh, NC you should call us today. When you call ask us about our free menu tastings.