Want to host an exciting holiday party? It is within your reach with a little planning and preparation.
- Create excitement with festive and different foods, decor, music and activities.
- On New Year’s Eve especially you’ll need games to entertain the guests until midnight, especially team games like charades.
- For foods, plan some that are eye catching, uncommon and festive. Have color, variety in flavors and textures and display them with flair. Make it a feast to look at as well as to taste.
- Buffet style finger foods and hors d’oeuvres are the easiest to plan for.
- Display crisp cut vegetables like carrots, red and yellow peppers, celery, cucumber and radishes with a choice of dips
- Lay out cheese cubes with a choice of fancy crackers or breads
- Prepare fresh cut fruit, adding strawberries and grapes for elegance
- Finger pastries like little quiches and chicken mango filo
- Interesting hors d’oeuvres like breaded asiago stuffed olives (live link)
- Mini sandwiches with colorful topped toothpicks made with a variety of breads, sauces or fillings
- You don’t have to make all of it, or any of it, you can also:
- Purchase ready made food, ready to serve, or just needing reheating
- Order from a caterer, for pickup or drop-off, or
- Make it Pot Luck, and ask your guests to bring dishes to share
- Have three separate areas for food, drink and dessert. You can use existing furniture covered with festive table cloth (and plastic underneath for the drink table in case of spills).
- For drinks have a variety for guests to choose from. Red, white and blush wines. Have both imported and domestic beers, a few from micro breweries and some light beers. Have a variety of sodas and some fruit juices. Water too.
- Plan on 8 – 10 servings per bottle for a champagne (or sparkling fruit juice) toast. For wines, plan on about 4 servings per bottle.
- Decorations create the ambiance, so choose colorful table clothes for each of your three food and drink areas. Add some sparkle with glitter or candles, some fresh cuttings of greens, flowers or seasonal plantings. Be creative. Make it exciting to see.
We’re Catering by Design, an award winning caterer serving the greater Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill area of North Carolina. Call and ask us how we can help you have your best event. (919) 481-2366