September is a great month for North Carolina. There’s Labor Day weekend, the start of college football, and it’s Wine and Grape Appreciation Month. NC actually has a booming wine industry, and the transition month between and summer and fall is the perfect time to celebrate it.
In today’s post, we’re going to be talking all about Wine and Grape month, some events you should check out, and lots of interesting facts about NC’s wine industry. If you need affordable Raleigh catering for your next event, don’t hesitate to call Catering by Design.
- About 160 wineries call North Carolina home. Our state’s wine industry focuses on native muscadine grapes and European-style vinifera grapes. Here’s a great resource map listing all of the wineries in our state.
- North Carolina ranks 10th in wine production inside of the U.S.
- There are over 400 individually owned grape vineyards spread across NC, covering over 1,800 acres.
- Scuppernong is the first grape cultivated in the United States. It’s also the official fruit of North Carolina. In Manteo, NC, located on Roanoke Island, a 400-year-old scuppernong vine is the oldest known cultivated grapevine in the nation. It’s called “The Mother Vine” and is a great piece of American food history.
- A recent study found that the economic impact of the NC wine and grape industry is $1.28 billion annually. The NC wine industry also supports approximately 7,600 jobs.
- The Yadkin Valley, located in northwestern North Carolina, is the state’s first federally recognized AVA, or American Viticultural Area. This area is home to over 40 wineries and has over 400 acres devoted to vineyards.
If you’re looking to take in some of the festive events celebrating Wine and Grape month, check out this list for happenings near you.
We hope today’s post helps you better understand NC’s awesome wine industry, and gives you a few good ideas on what events you should check out. If you need an affordable catering company for your next event, please keep reading to see how Catering by Design can help.
Affordable Raleigh Event Catering | Catering by Design
Catering by Design is the number one source for all of your Raleigh event catering needs. We make your holiday event easy since we do all the work. Call now and ask about our holiday specials and delivery service. We’ve got the best menus for any of your catering needs. From university dinners, corporate events, luncheons, and awards banquets, to weddings, anniversary parties, social events and holiday gatherings, Catering by Design will ensure your food and fun is top shelf quality. We’ve been serving up smiles to people all over North Carolina for decades. Please give us a call today to learn more about why we’re the number one choice for Raleigh event catering services!